Gen. John C. Fremont made his reputation exploring the West, earning the nickname “Pathfinder.” The new commander of the Department of the West rode into town July 25, 1861, flanked by his retinue of plumed exiles from European revolutions. He and his wife, Jessie, established headquarters in this mansion on the southwest corner of Eighth Street and Chouteau Avenue, but spent most of their time in well-guarded seclusion. The house was built during the late 1850s by Joshua Brant, a construction contractor who was married to one of Jessie Fremont’s cousins. Brant died shortly after the home was finished. The government paid his estate $500 per month to rent it for the Fremonts. The mansion was demolished in 1904. (Missouri History Museum)
See more photos »

Gen. John C. Fremont made his reputation exploring the West, earning the nickname “Pathfinder.” The new commander of the Department of the West rode into town July 25, 1861, flanked by his retinue of plumed exiles from European revolutions. He and his wife, Jessie, established headquarters in this mansion on the southwest corner of Eighth Street and Chouteau Avenue, but spent most of their time in well-guarded seclusion. The house was built during the late 1850s by Joshua Brant, a construction contractor who was married to one of Jessie Fremont’s cousins. Brant died shortly after the home was finished. The government paid his estate $500 per month to rent it for the Fremonts. The mansion was demolished in 1904. (Missouri History Museum)

See more photos »

blog comments powered by Disqus
  1. sagaston reblogged this from stlyesterday
  2. stlyesterday posted this